Monday, October 7, 2013

What we want

I remember when I was younger and I often thought about what I might be like when I was older. When I was in 5th grade, I often wondered what the 8th grade me would look like. When I was in Middle school, I wondered what the High School Senior me would look like, and as I was finishing High School, I wondered what College grad me would look like. When I look into the mirror, I see those faces that I would often think about and it's almost funny at how time has come and gone seemingly quick.

Is this where I pictured myself when I was in elementary school? Middle school? High school?

No, it isn't.

The fact of the matter is that I didn't know what I wanted during any of those times. When I was little, being a weatherman and playing video games would have been my life goal. In MS, it would have been playing and making video games. In HS, it would have been to get any good job that used my brain. Now that I have reached the point where I have attained the proverbial college-graduate dream, it is high time to reassess what I want.

That's the thing though. Life isn't really about what you want; it is about weeding out the things you don't want. If you had everything that you thought you wanted in your life, I can guarantee that you would get bored of it sooner or later. Have you ever wanted a new phone or gadget so bad only to hardly touch it when you finally got it? It's just like that.

So instead of focusing on what we want in life, let's focus on cutting things out that we don't like. That route is much simpler, involves less thinking and in the end, it leads to a happier existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment