Saturday, September 28, 2013

Life Stories

I like to think. I sit and think about where I've been, where I am, and where I want to go. That is essentially what our life is, isn't it? Those three elements comprise our life story and I believe it is important to have a good life story.

Recently, I went to a wake and saw some old friends, some of whom I haven't seen in awhile, and we got into the discussion of our wake and what we would want to have happen. Most of my friends concluded that when they die, they would like everyone to get blackout drunk at their wake. I was not surprised considering the kind of people they are but it made me think of my wake and what I would like it to be. Not saying I will have much of a choice but it is a thought exercise that is important for several reasons; the chief of which being that imagining such a scenario forces us to think about our lives and the impacts we have left on others. Presumably, if you have had a significant impact on others, then you would have lived a good life. Nobody wants to be forgotten once they're gone so I think it is important to affect everyone and everything around you (in a positive way). This inevitably leads me to reflect upon my own life story and its significance to myself and others.

My life story is one of happiness, sorrow, mistakes, learning and growth, good decisions, bad decisions, spiritual attainment and loss, and most importantly, love. All of these things (and I am sure there are many I have not mentioned) go into making a good life story. When I die, I don't want people to weep for long but instead focus on the life story that I have spent all these years cultivating and taking joy in the impacts I made upon them and others. As of now, I am happy and proud of my life story.

Can you say the same about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment